|Dewitt D. Barlow Elementary School - General Information
DeWitt D. Barlow School Mission Statement
- The staff, parents and community of Barlow Elementary School are committed to achieving and maintaining high academic standards. We will maintain effective school leadership that fosters respect, trust and collaboration. Collectively we will provide a safe and supportive learning environment that fosters curiosity, inquiry and a lifelong passion for learning.
- DeWitt D. Barlow School is a K-5 school located in the Plainfield Public Schools district for Union County. The school has a multicultural student body and staff and is located in the northeastern part of The Queen City. The school serves students in grades K-5 with an enrollment of approximately 370 students. The historical school structure is named in honor of Dewitt Dukes Barlow, mayor of Plainfield, New Jersey from 1937 to 1939 and Member of the Board of Education from 1924-1937.
- Highly Qualified Instructional Staff
The instructional staff is certificated according to the state of NJ Highly Qualified Teacher Standards. Academic instruction is implemented through the curriculum subjects of Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science and Fine and Performing Arts. Student performance continues to be assessed by using district interim assessments and standards-based tests, targeted skills data, and classroom portfolios. Teachers collect and analyze the data from these different sources so that a plan for improvement based on the instructional needs of each student can be developed. The academic goal is to move students to proficient and advanced proficient across all grade levels.
Data and Assessment
- A quality standards-based instructional program is our commitment to every student. To accomplish this goal, we provide students with rigorous, standards based, data driven instruction. Through the analysis of benchmark assessments and individual test scores from the NJASK it allows for the identification of strengths and weaknesses in student proficiency levels. The weakness becomes the instructional focus of teaching and learning.
- DeWitt D. Barlow School uses Instructional Focus Calendars to map curriculum and ensure that all essential standards for each subject will be taught in a timely manner prior to the standardized tests. During weekly staff development and Professional Learning Community meetings teachers work in a collaborative effort to list the standards and objectives that they will teach each month and the strategies utilized so that the students are successful. In addition to this, teachers complete their targeted skills based on previous test data gathered from secure goals and holistic assessments. The purpose of this is to identify skills to focus on where students need improvement to achieve proficiency levels. All of this data is organized in a data binder for student conferencing data chats, parent communication and planning of rigorous data driven instruction.
DeWitt D. Barlow School is devoted to a structured school day that demonstrates rigorous data driven instruction and positive student growth and development. By maintaining this focus and partnerships with parents and community we are moving our children to be successful and thriving members of their communities and the society in which they live.