Registration Rezoning FAQs


1. How do I enroll my student(s)?

All enrollments can be completed online; you are no longer required to visit the Enrollment Center.
Click Here to Start 

2. What documents are required for a new enrollment?
  1. Child's birth certificate/passport/or other official document indicating legal name and age
  2. Immunization record
  3. Five (5) proofs of Plainfield residency dated within the last 30 days (you may register with 3 but will be required to provide an additional 2 within 30 days)
  4. Parent/guardian photo ID

Note: If a student has an IEP (Individual Education Plan) or if you have a transfer card, please provide it as well.

3. How do I submit an Address Change Request?

All Address Change Requests can be submitted online through this LINK
Please be prepared to email the Parent/Guardian photo ID and five (5) pieces of proof of Plainfield residency.

4. How do I withdraw my student from the District?

To request a Transfer Card to withdraw your student, please visit your child's school directly. Be sure to have your new home address, the name/address of the new school, and a copy of the parent/guardian's photo ID. You will also need to return all devices and books to the school as well.

5. How do I know what school my child will attend based on my current address?

Please use our school zone map and enter your current address, after Clicking Here
Make sure you address, and contact information is current with the school district. Please see question #3 if you need to change your address.

6. How do I reach the Enrollment Division?

You may call the Enrollment Center on (908) 731-4321 between the hours of 8AM - 5PM or email questions to [email protected]